Ubuntu for everyone! This popular Linux-based operating system is perfect for people with little technical background. It's simple to install, and easy to use -- with a strong focus on security. Ubuntu: Up and Running shows you the ins and outs of this system with a complete hands-on tour. You'll learn how Ubuntu works, how to quickly configure and maintain Ubuntu 10.04, and how to use this unique operating system for networking, business, and home entertainment.
This book includes a DVD with the complete Ubuntu system and several specialized editions -- including the Mythbuntu multimedia release.
- Choose among three desktop environments: GNOME, KDE, or XFCE
- Connect printers, sound cards, cameras, webcams, and iPhones
- Use the Linux filesystem with either the desktop or the command line
- Learn networking functions, such as file and folder sharing and Internet access
- Get an in-depth introduction to the OpenOffice.org business productivity suite
- Learn how to use WINE to run Windows programs
- Implement upgrades quickly and easily
- Find out where to get, and how to install, other great software for Linux