As virtual reality approaches mainstream consumer use, a vibrant development ecosystem has emerged in the past few years. This hands-on guide takes you through VR development essentials for desktop, mobile, and browser-based applications. You...ll explore the three go-to platforms-OculusVR, Gear VR, and Cardboard VR-as well as several VR development environments, programming tools, and techniques.
If you...re an experienced programmer familiar with mobile development, this book will help you gain a working knowledge of VR development through clear and simple examples. Once you create a complete application in the final chapter, you...ll have a jumpstart on the next major entertainment medium.
- Learn VR basics for UI design, 3D graphics, and stereo rendering
- Explore Unity3D, the current development choice among game engines
- Create native applications for desktop computers with the Oculus Rift
- Develop mobile applications for Samsung...s Gear VR with the Android and Oculus Mobile SDKs
- Create simple and affordable mobile apps for any smartphone with Google...s Cardboard VR
- Bring everything together to build a 360-degree panoramic photo viewer