Looking to port Android to other platforms such as embedded devices? This hands-on book shows you how Android works and how you can adapt it to fit your needs. You...ll delve into Android...s architecture and learn how to navigate its source code, modify its various components, and create your own version of Android for your particular device. You...ll also discover how Android differs from its Linux roots.
If you...re experienced with embedded systems development and have a good handle on Linux, this book helps you mold Android to hardware platforms other than mobile devices.
- Learn about Android...s development model and the hardware you need to run it
- Get a quick primer on Android internals, including the Linux kernel and Dalvik virtual machine
- Set up and explore the AOSP without hardware, using a functional emulator image
- Understand Android...s non-recursive build system, and learn how to make your own modifications
- Use evaluation boards to prototype your embedded Android system
- Examine the native user-space, including the root filesystem layout, the adb tool, and Android...s command line
- Discover how to interact with-and customize-the Android Framework